How to Gift an iTunes Playlist
iTunes gift cards make great stocking stuffers, but did you know that you can also give one of your iTunes playlists as a gift? Here's how it works: Create a playlist full of the songs you'd like to give and then follow the instructions below to purchase the songs in the iTunes Store. The recipient will be emailed a special iTunes code to download all of the songs in the playlist. And if you really want that stocking stuffer, you can print a gift certificate for the playlist.
Here's how to gift an iTunes Playlist:
- Open iTunes. (It's in your Applications folder.)
- Create a new playlist and select it, or select an existing playlist. (For instructions on creating a new playlist, see How to Create an iTunes Playlist.)
- From the Store menu, select Share Playlist. The window shown below appears.
- Click Gift. The page shown below appears.
- To send the playlist as a gift via email, select Send gift via email.
- To print the playlist as a gift certificate, Print gift certificate myself.
- Enter the requested information in the form fields.
- Below the form, you should see the songs from your playlist. Verify that all of the songs are there. You will be charged for each of the songs listed.
- Click Continue. Follow the instructions to check out and send or print the gift certificate.
Note: Only songs available in the iTunes Store can be gifted. If your playlist contains songs that you ripped from CD or downloaded from another Internet music store, you might not be able to give them as a gift in iTunes.
If you selected the email option, the recipient should receive the gift momentarily. And if you elected to print the gift certificate, fire up your printer. Now all that's left to do is give yourself a pat on the back for buying a gift in record time!
Meet Your Macinstructor
Matt Cone, the author of Master Your Mac, has been a Mac user for over 20 years. A former ghost writer for some of Apple's most notable instructors, Cone founded Macinstruct in 1999, a site with OS X tutorials that boasts hundreds of thousands of unique visitors per month. You can email him at: [email protected].