How to Share an iPhone Contact with a Friend
The iOS Contacts application makes it easy to store contact information for friends and family members on your iPhone. But did you know that by tapping a button on your iPhone, you can share a contact's information with a friend? This is a great way to share the phone numbers and email addresses of extended family members, friends of friends, and even contractors.
Here's how to share an iPhone contact with a friend:
- From the iPhone's home screen, tap Contacts, as shown below.
- Tap the contact or person that you want to share. The window shown below appears.
- Tap Share Contact. The window shown below appears.
- There are two ways to share the contact's information: Email or message. If you select Email, the person's contact information will be emailed to your friend as an attachment, as shown below. Just enter your friend's email address and then click Send to send the contact information.
- If you select Message, the person's contact information will be sent as a message to your friend's Mac or iOS device, as shown below. Just enter your friend's name or email address and then click Send to send the contact information.
Congratulations! You have sent a contact's information to a friend. Read on to learn how your friend can add the person as a contact on their iPhone.
How to Add a Shared Contact to Your iPhone
After your friend receives the person's contact information, he will need to tap a button to add the person as a contact on his iPhone. Here's how your friend can add a shared contact to an iPhone:
- Open the message or email message, as shown below.
- Tap the blue arrow next to the contact. The window shown below appears.
- Tap Create New Contact. The new contact is added to the Contacts app on your iPhone.
That's it! Your friend has successfully added the person as a contact on his iPhone.
Meet Your Macinstructor
Matt Cone, the author of Master Your Mac, has been a Mac user for over 20 years. A former ghost writer for some of Apple's most notable instructors, Cone founded Macinstruct in 1999, a site with OS X tutorials that boasts hundreds of thousands of unique visitors per month. You can email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.