How to Check Your Magic Trackpad's Battery Life
Apple's Magic Trackpad is a great alternative to the classic mouse. But as with all wireless devices, the trackpad's batteries will die eventually and you'll need to replace them. That's why it's a good idea to check your Magic Trackpad's battery life before you leave home or deliver a presentation.
Fortunately, there's a quick way to check your trackpad's remaining battery life. Here's how to do it:
- From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
- Click Trackpad. The window shown below appears.
- Check the Trackpad Battery Level in the lower-left corner. This is the percentage of battery life left in your Magic Trackpad's batteries.
In addition to the information in System Preferences, OS X also displays other reminders when your trackpad's batteries have 10% or less battery life remaining. The Bluetooth icon will appear on the menu bar, whether you have it disabled in System Preferences or not, and it will be flashing. It's pretty noticeable. And when your trackpad is about to conk out, you'll see an alert telling you that the trackpad could power off at any moment.
- How to Check Your Magic Mouse's Battery Life
- How to Check Your Apple Bluetooth Keyboard's Battery Life
Meet Your Macinstructor
Matt Cone, the author of Master Your Mac, has been a Mac user for over 20 years. A former ghost writer for some of Apple's most notable instructors, Cone founded Macinstruct in 1999, a site with OS X tutorials that boasts hundreds of thousands of unique visitors per month. You can email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.